Friday, May 30, 2008

Our Visit to Weiser Air Park

We live a few blocks from this small air strip. It's 33 feet wide and 3500 feet long. Landing on it is like land on a dirt road, but there are a lot of people who fly there. Today we decided to swing by to pick up a book.

As we were pulling into the Air Park I said to Korri, "I wonder if Max will realize these are the airplanes that fly over the neighborhood." Just as I said that Max screamed and started kicking his feet in excitement. "Does that answer your question?" Korri sarcastically asked.

While I went in to get the book Korri chased Max as he ran from plane to plane checking out the tires, admiring the wings, and props. At one point a plane taxied by, Max stopped dead in his tracks as it passed, waved then went on. I got permission from the girl in the small shop to let Max sit in one of the planes.

I opened the door, Max ran as fast as he could and climbed up the strut trying to get in. Once he was in the seat he stood there in awe looking at the controls, instruments and radios. After checking out the cockpit he grabbed the yoke and swung it from side to side, while talking his own coded language.

When it was time to go Korri put him in his car seat and that's when the temper tantrum started. He was so upset to leave! As we drove off he cried and waved at the planes. It took a few miles and a sour straw candy for him to calm down. I decided that next time I have a day off and the weather is good, I'll take him flying with me.

4 comments:

Grandma said...

Hey Shelby, we're looking for your email. we want you to be a contributor to Grandma's blog. We think that would be a great way to keep her blog up and going and she can create posts directed to her grandkids, but she can also go to her blog and be pleasantly surprised with posts her grandkids have made just for her. Good way to keep in contact with each other. does that sound good? let us know! love ya!

Blythe said...

Sounds like Max wants to follow in his daddy's footsteps! I hope you guys make it back into town soon!

Kerrie said...

I think that is every kids dream, is to say "my dad drives airplanes." Jacie still talks about the time she was on the airplane which was several years ago. Your going to have a great time on career day when Max is in school. (=

Bonni said...

Shelby, I'm glad you make the time to be such an involved father. Max sounds adorable, and I do hope you get to take him flying soon-- it may become his first memory!